Wednesday, August 4, 2010

29 Weeks!

Someone's getting close to being 30 weeks pregnant! That means only 11 more weeks until baby girl's arrival and only 7 more weeks of work (give or take… we will see how I feel). I am counting the days!!!! As of now the plan is to most likely work until 2 weeks before my due date, which would actually be 9 more weeks of work. I am going to see how I feel at 36 - 37 weeks and make my decision on when to go out on maternity leave at that time. There's no telling when our baby girl will actually arrive but it would be nice to have a couple weeks to myself and to prepare everything before she gets here.


I mentioned that the baby's room is pretty much ready to go! All we need to do is clean the carpet and fill that baby up. Right now its full of all of the goodies we got at the baby shower. People LOVE buying baby stuff! We got spoiled!

I didn't take pics of the room after it was all done but here is a picture of me in the room the day of my shower.

All you can see (besides me) is the paint. That's all we have done. Now it's time to stock it up!!!

I have one more little tidbit of info to share…

We had originally decided to keep the baby's name a secret until she was born but we decided to let the cat out of the bag this weekend. Our daughter's name will be...

Your pregnancy: 29 weeks

How your baby's growing:

Your baby now weighs about 2 1/2 pounds (like a butternut squash) and is a tad over 15 inches long from head to heel. His muscles and lungs are continuing to mature, and his head is growing bigger to make room for his developing brain. To meet his increasing nutritional demands, you'll need plenty of protein, vitamins C, folic acid, and iron. And because his bones are soaking up lots of calcium, be sure to drink your milk (or find another good source of calcium, such as cheese, yogurt, or enriched orange juice). This trimester, about 250 milligrams of calcium are deposited in your baby's hardening skeleton each day.

How your life's changing:

Your baby's very active now. Your healthcare provider may ask you to spend some time each day counting kicks and will give you specific instructions on how to do this. Let your provider know if you ever notice that your baby is becoming less active. You may need a nonstress test or biophysical profile to check on your baby's condition.

Some old friends — heartburn and constipation — may take center stage now. The pregnancy hormone progesterone relaxes smooth muscle tissue throughout your body, including your gastrointestinal tract. This relaxation, coupled with the crowding in your abdomen, slows digestion. Sluggish digestion can cause gas and heartburn — especially after a big meal — and contribute to constipation.

Your growing uterus may also be contributing to hemorrhoids. These swollen blood vessels in your rectal area are common during pregnancy. Fortunately, they usually clear up in the weeks after giving birth.

If they're itchy or painful, try soaking in a sitz bath or applying cold compresses medicated with witch hazel to the affected area. Avoid sitting or standing for long stretches. Talk with your provider before using any over-the-counter remedies during pregnancy, and let your provider know if you have any rectal bleeding. To prevent constipation, eat a high-fiber diet, drink plenty of water, and get some regular exercise.

Some women get something called "supine hypotensive syndrome" during pregnancy. This happens when lying flat on your back causes a change in heart rate and blood pressure that makes you feel dizzy until you change position. You might notice that you feel lightheaded if you stand up too quickly, too. To avoid "the spins," lie on your side rather than your back, and move slowly as you go from lying down to sitting and then standing.

Hailey is definitely growing! I can tell a big difference in where I am able to feel her moving in my belly. Crazy how fast they develop. I was reading a blog today where a woman gave birth to twins via emergency c-section at 28 weeks. She had pictures up on her blog of the babies. They were quite skinny but definitely all BABY. It's so hard to imagine a little person in there but they are almost fully developed at this time. Well, with the exception of some maturing of their organs and the piling on of some baby fat.

I am more than happy to report that I am not feeling any of the symptoms mentioned above! Knock on some wood that I don't get any of those horrible sounding things! LOL

The only thing I can say I do get is shortness of breath or light headed when I get up to fast or go upstairs at work. That's very different for me. It's a good thing I have been keeping up on my work outs. I can't imagine that being worse.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Congratulations on 29 weeks!! Hailey is a beautiful name!! You look great. I am so glad everything is going well for you!!!